Classic Mignonette Sauce
Mignonette sauce is a classic accompaniment for oysters. It typically consists of shallots, cracked pepper, and vinegar. One of my favorite parts about this sauce is how interchangeable the ingredients can be. The key to a good mignonette sauce is balance. You want the acidity of the vinegar, the pungency of the shallots, and the heat from the pepper to complement the delicate flavors of the oyster & brine without overpowering them. Here’s a simple recipe for making mignonette sauce:
– 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
– 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (fine)
– Lemon, squeezed (optional)
- Prepare the Shallots: Peel and finely chop the shallots. You want them to be finely minced so that they blend well with the sauce.
- Combine Ingredients: In a bowl, combine the red wine vinegar, finely chopped shallots, and freshly ground black pepper. If you prefer a slightly sweet mignonette, you can add a teaspoon of sugar as well. Optionally, you can also add a bit of squeezed lemon for a citrusy twist. (I prefer to top my oysters directly w/ lemon)
- Mix Well: Be sure to stir the ingredients well to ensure that the shallots and pepper are evenly distributed throughout the vinegar.
- Let it Rest: Let the mignonette sauce rest for at least 15-20 minutes before serving. This gives the flavors time to infuse.
- Adjust Seasoning: Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if necessary. You can add more black pepper or a touch of sugar according to your preference.
- Spoon the mignonette sauce over freshly shucked oysters or other seafood of your choice. It can also be served in our Morty the Knife Man Sauce Cups on the side.
You may adjust the quantities to suit your taste preferences.
Some variations of mignonette sauce may include ingredients like champagne vinegar or a splash of dry white wine. The shallots can be replaced with finely chopped leeks, scallions or herbs (such as parsley and chives). Even the lemon can be replaced with other citrus like orange.
Feel free to experiment with these additions to customize the sauce to your liking !